Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pres. Obama Speaks About the Delay of Release of Photos

Pres. Obama talked about the release of the photos, just before he left for Phoenix.

Notice one line of what he said. I will highlight it.. I think it is very important.

[*] OBAMA: Now, let me also say a few words about an issue that I know you asked Robert Gibbs about quite a bit today, and that’s my decision to argue against the release of additional detainee photos.

Understand these photos are associated with closed investigations of the alleged abuse of detainees in our ongoing war effort. And I want to emphasize that these photos that were requested in this case are not particularly sensational, especially when compared to the painful images that we remember from Abu Ghraib. But they do represent conduct that did not conform with the Army Manual; that’s precisely why they were investigated and, I might add, investigated long before I took office. And, where appropriate, sanctions have been applied.

In other words, this is not a situation in which the Pentagon has concealed or sought to justify inappropriate action. Rather, it has gone through the appropriate and regular processes. And the individuals who were involved have been identified, and appropriate actions have been taken.

It’s therefore my belief that the publication of these photos would not add any additional benefit to our understanding of what was carried out in the past by a small number of individuals. In fact, the most direct consequence of releasing them, I believe, would be to further inflame anti-American opinion and to put our troops in greater danger.

Moreover, I fear the publication of these photos may only have a chilling effect on future investigations of detainee abuse.

And, obviously, the thing that is most important in my mind is making sure that we are abiding by the Army Manual and that we are swiftly investigating any -- any instances in which individuals have not acted appropriately and that they are appropriately sanctioned. That’s my aim, and I do not believe that the release of these photos at this time would further that goal.

Now, let me be clear: I am concerned about how the release of these photos would be -- would impact on the safety of our troops. I have made it very clear to all who are within the chain of command, however, of the United States Armed Forces that the abuse of detainees in our custody is prohibited and will not be tolerated.

I have repeated that since I’ve been in office. Secretary Gates understands that. Admiral Mullen understands that. And that has been communicated across the chain of command.

Any abuse of detainees is unacceptable. It is against our values. It endangers our security. It will not be tolerated.

All right? Thank you very much, everybody


Notice that line I put in bold. This is what he said "future investigations of detainee abuse". I heard that and I went whoa.. that's what I am talking about. He isn't ruling anything out as so many have been thinking.. right there he stated very clearly.

We have to do this. In order to get this country back on track and back on the road to recovery completely we have to have investigations and prosecutions. We have a statement from our President now, saying there was going to be further investigations, so we have to just hold him to it.

6 comments:

K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K. said...

I definitely appreciated what Jesse Ventura had to say about investigating torture practices. I wonder if he could be convinced to serve as the public face pushing for an investigation. He's popular, direct, and speaks from experience.

trishSWFL said...

The bolded part---that struck me the same way. He is open to further investigation and eventual prosecution of war crimes. He is NOT going to just let it go.

I believe our President is is amazingly intelligent, and that there are 'things' going on that we are not aware of (yet).

I trust that he will do right by us.

Patricia said...

I didn't have a big problem with it even though it's giving some of my favorites at MSNBC fits. I wasn't even sure it sounded like such a great idea to begin with. It's not news and do we really need to see more man-piles? It sounds as if those photos may come out anyway, if the court so decides, but I'm more interested in the hearings that are currently going on.

Vast said...

I'd love to watch Jesse and Cheney in a cage match.

Tango daddy said...

You nailed it!
The torture issue has been pushed over the hill and has now picked up enough speed not to be stopped. NOW HE HAS BEEN PUSHED TO DO IT