Monday, November 24, 2008

Nov. 22, 1963 the day that changed the world.

I should have done this the other day. At least 2 days ago. Nov. 22, 1963, 45 years ago. The day I saw my dad cry for the 1st time. The time I felt afraid of what was going to happen to the world and our country. My dad thought John Kennedy was a great man, a great president. He was so upset by him getting killed.

I remember when it happened. I was at school, I was 11 years old, in 5th grade. I was afraid, I imagine so were a lot of others in school, my teacher let me go to the office and call home. I don't remember if we got to leave early or if we stayed in school. But, I do remember talking to mom on the phone.

Then, later when dad was home from work and we were watching the news on TV he cried, I don't think he liked President Johnson. But, we watched them swear him in on the airplane.

It was a scary time for our country. No one knew what was going to happen next. There were a lot of suspicion, conspiracy theories, still are for that matter as to what or who was behind it. Could one man have done it?? Will the truth ever be known??

John Kennedy was a good man. Yes, he had his faults. No one is perfect. I don't think it was as bad as people like to say it was now, at least not that I remember, but that was a different time then. What might our country have been like if he had not been killed?? What would have been different?? What would have been the same??

Listen to the speech he gave at his inaugural, it is in 2 parts, the 1st about 10 minutes the 2nd about 5. I had heard clips of it before, mostly the "Ask not what your country" portion, that I am sure everyone has heard, but I think this is the 1st time I have ever heard the entire speech. No wonder I have heard people say that Barack Obama reminds them of John Kennedy. They both have a way with words. I don't know if Pres. Kennedy wrote his speeches like Barack writes a lot of his or not, but the words are eerily similar. No, not in that way, just that they seem to have some of the same ideals, the same visions for this great country and our people. How wonderful.

My dad thought so much of John Kennedy, and I think a lot of Barack Obama. My mom didn't think my dad would vote for Barack but I think he would have. Yeah, my dad would have been one of those who said he would never have voted for the black guy, then walked into the voting booth and voted FOR the black guy...lol That reverse Bradley effect. I miss my dad.

One of the regrets I have, is living in Dallas and never taking him to see the place where Kennedy was shot. But then again, he said he didn't want to go there. We talked about it. He said it wasn't something he wanted to see. I did get to take him to Arlington. He got to see his grave, see the eternal flame. He cried then too.


Part 1

Part 2

No comments: