Saturday, January 23, 2010

The President's Weekly Address: President Obama Addresses This Week's Supreme Court Decision

From the White House Blog:

In this week’s address, President Barack Obama addresses the Supreme Court decision to further empower corporations to use their financial clout to directly influence elections and vows that "as long as I'm your President, I'll never stop fighting to make sure that the most powerful voice in Washington belongs to you."




I can't add much to this. I think most of you have already spoken on this. I do have some things I want to say later on, but those are for a different post. I have been writing it since Tuesday night.

The only thing I can add is once again to say, this is what happens when we allow the Republican's to control things and appoint Supreme Court Justice's. What did we expect to happen? Since en masse they have praised this it is to be expected they would like it, and the Conservative Justice's were the ones who overturned it, why were we surprised?

I am just glad we have a President who is able to cut through the bull shit and tell it like it is. Everyone should be thankful he is there.

10 comments:

themom said...

He had an excellent speech today. I'm fighting off the rethugs locally and their hatredc of Obama...but then again, unfortunately this area has its share of racists.

Annette said...

Welcome back.. Yes, I thought it was too.. I can relate to what you are saying.. remember I live in Missouri.. we have one of the largest populations of right wingers in the US here.. Most of them are in the southern part of the state but there are plenty around here too. The SPLC rates MO as one of the major areas prime for explosion if they decide to try overthrow the government. We have a billboard just a few miles from me on I-70 advocating the overthrowing of our government... and no one says a word... That's the world I live in...

K. said...

He could have some success lining up a bipartisan response if John McCain is willing to call in some favors.

My hope for down the road is that a better court will overturn the decision. It's been widely derided (by the liberal commentariat, I admit) for its poor reasoning and for greatly exceeding the scope of the case it responds to. This makes it ripe for overturn. Of course, plenty of damage can be done in the meantime.

Annette said...

You are so right.. unfortunately the members of the Conservative side of the court who made this idiotic decision are all very young and are unlikely to retire very soon... That would be the only hope it could be revisited by the SCOTUS and overturned at some early point in time. I am afraid any laws that would be enacted would just be acted upon by another trial and ruling of much the same by them again.

Our hope is as you say, McCain will act human for a change and gather his brains and guts and stand up to his party and get them to stand with him to condemn this unjust ruling.

K. said...

Scalia and Kennedy both turn 74 this year. They can't live forever. Can they?

I'm afraid that McCain will find that right wing of the Republican party and his own personal bitterness are more unbending captors than the North Vietnamese...

Leslie Parsley said...

I couldn't keep the video up either. Don't know what the problem is.

Leslie Parsley said...

Hate to ask for a trade secret, what did you do keep this up - or do you just have megic fingesr.? Or am I just stupid?

Annette said...

I just get the code from the White House blog and post it.. It either plays or not...lol if is it shaky usually it is Blogger or the server that is causing the problem.... I have no control over that. Sorry you had problems.. I was having some connectivity issues earlier.. not sure if that's what you were experiencing or not.

Leslie Parsley said...

The video just wouldn't stay up. Oddly, when I turned on the computer this morning it didn't come up. When I hit "comment," up it popped!!!

Annette said...

I have noticed sometimes it is just a blank screen.. but when you click on it it will play. But all the videos will do that.. even You Tube sometimes. You are panicking too much...lol Just let it sit it will play when someone wants to watch it.. I am sure.