Saturday, January 30, 2010

The President''s Weekly Address: Reining in Budget Deficits

From the White House blog:

The President pledges to rein the deficit, citing three specific steps to this end. He praises the Senate for restoring the pay-as-you-go law, discusses his proposal for a freeze in discretionary spending, and calls for a bipartisan Fiscal Commission to hammer out further concrete deficit reduction proposals.




None of these measures will take place right away. They are set up for next year and with the economic news looking better all the time it makes sense to start thinking about reducing the deficit. I am sure, if something happens between now and then, it will change.

That's one HUGE difference between this president and the former occupant.. Once that log made a decision he stuck with it.. no matter how disastrous it was. However Pres. Obama has already shown he will change his mind and the direction he is taking if he feels it was a bad decision.

6 comments:

Distributorcap said...

i am glad he can change his mind and learn from mistakes - like moving the KSM trial out of Manhattan (of which i am so glad)

i just wish the congress could learn something - like how to get a backbone Harry Reid

Annette said...

Yes, I agree D'Cap and thank you for stopping in. I wish Congress was more flexible... they seem to be stuck in the 30's or something....lol

mommapolitico said...

Harry could use a good spine-fusing...true, true! In my business, we always say that a good teacher knows when a lesson isn't working and is brave enough to change direction. I think there's a lot to be said for someone in politics to change course, to have the bravery to step forward and chart a new course.

I'm hoping we can change the conventional wisdom of "Dems campaign well, and govern poorly" (and vice-versa with the GOP)and really make some headway. I had a blast watching The President rip them to shreds in the Q & A...I admit it, I've seen it a bunch, too! ;)

Thanks for the clip - he does seem revitalized and sure of his mission!

Annette said...

I think he always had it in him, he just had to show the country how far the R's could push him and then show them up for the idiots they were... it's like a parent with a child.. or even a teacher with students. They all have a breaking point and I think the President has reached his.

Leslie Parsley said...

At the risk of getting cyber-darts from everyone, I don't feel that all the blame should rest on Reid. Behind the scenes are a lot of people who pull the strings and the Speaker the orders. I'm not saying he doesn't share in the blame but he doesn't deserve it all.

The night of the State of the Union address I saw a very sad, broken man who has spent a lot of years giving his all.

Now I will tip-toe away.

Annette said...

No, you are right Leslie... and I have defended him in the past myself... We don't know what goes on in the meetings and when they are having their sessions not on CSpan. He has gotten a lot done this year and pushed some major legislation through the Senate.