Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Reading List and Some Interesting Things You Might Like

I haven't been doing this blogging thing all that long.. lol But I do have several I love to read. I have my list there on the lower left... But there are some new ones I have been pointed to that are just wonderful and I wanted to share some of them with you.

The first one is on my list over there, I got to is from BobCesca's GDAB and I read them both every day. It is called BroadwayCarls Blog O Mania and today he has a great post up about the "real deficit" which talks about the fact that Bush never told us the truth about spending. The Iraq War was never figured into the budget, so all the money that has been spent there was never counted. So we don't know where we are really.. but we are going to find out.

Get ready to hear the rethuglicans roar over this...lol But, guess what, we have a grown up in charge and he isn't going to lie to us anymore. Thank you very much.

Next is a couple of new ones that I have stumbled onto, through Carl's blog. Consortiumnews is great and lets you know some things you might be surprised about. They have some great posts up about the Bush years, and have written some books about them and talk about the fact that there is a movement afoot to keep Pres. Obama from being re-elected to a second term.

It is a very interesting read and very informative. I found it quite intriguing and very believable. I see so much of it happening already and even see it playing out in the news and in day to day life as we go along.

The last one I wanted to share is along the same lines but is more newsy than blogger type.. but still interesting. It is a different perspective anyway. Lets you know that we really do have a grown up in charge and not a yes man like we had for 8 years.

They have a story about how Pres. Obama stood up to the commanders about troop deployment and didn't let them back him down. Which makes me feel better. It is called IPSNews.net and they will send you daily emails if you want or you can just go to them.

Well, that is my sharing for the day... Just wanted to let you into my head for a little bit.. see what I read and how I form some of my thoughts.

I don't like the fact that we are in any war, but at least I feel we are focusing where we need to be. Iraq was a wrong war from the start.. no there is never a right war, but we have to stand up to the people who attacked us, we can't let them think they have won anything. If we just walk away and let them regroup to attack us again.

I don't blindly support everything that our president has done or will do, like the republicans seem to think we "liberals" do, but I will support our troops and support the fight they are in, whether I agree with the war or not.

Pres. Obama is doing a great job so far, for the most part. There are a few things I wish he had done differently, but I am not ready to kick him out yet. It is early, he has only been in for just barely a month... and already he has done a lot more than most and more than Bush did in the last 3 or 4 years.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Nice find, Shelly. Thanks for posting them.

Fran said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on war.
I too feel like the troops need support - even if I loathe war. But I'll share my thoughts about it with you-- I think the BEST way to support the troops- is to get them out of war.

The most sad thing I'd heard about is the higher than ever suicide rate of soldiers... many who take their lives with untreated PTSD, and or the combination of getting orders for redeployment.
What does that say? They would rather take their own lives than be subjected to the war scene again.

I have not given up on Obama, I do think the things he is doing with the economy are positive steps. I also have compassion that he has a huge mess to clean up & it is going to take a decade or more to turn it around. I do have patience with him in that regard.

But things like rendition, and perpetuating or escalating wars I can't get behind.
Notice no other countries are stepping up to be the world police either?
they realize if they open that door- they create a retaliation vulnerability, and continuation of violence.

Anyway..... I hope Obama keeps an open mind & reverses course about Afghanistan & Pakistan
Once he starts a surge in Afghanistan, it then becomes Obama's war.

I had such high hopes for him.